Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Twenty Questions With Marian Hebert


MARIAN HEBERT,
NEW ORLEANS ARTIST

Marian Hebert is an artist from  New Orleans.  Her fierce love of New Orleans in reflected in her art, and her art speaks for itself.  I am so pleased to refer you to her website.

1.  Tell us something about yourself.
Ever since childhood, I wanted to be an artist.  My husband of many years always encourages me.  I am a native of New Orleans.  Basically I am self-taught.  However I have the good fortune to paint with some excellent water colorists over the years.  No longer am I an instructor. It was time for me to paint.


2.  Is there another area of human endeavor in  which you dreamed of excelling, e.g.,  did you want to be a musician, act in a great film, etc?
Another human endeavor?  I am a very spiritual person, mystical if you will.  This mysticism has been present my entire life.  To acquire a balance of my art and the mysticism in the way that heals our planet.


3.  How would you describe your work?
Very unusual is the word many acquaintances use.


4.  What's it like to be an artist?

We look at the world differently I am told.  Everything is a possibility to be a painting.  I look beyond the color to see what makes it that hue.  I often stare at things far too long.


5.  What's your first ever work of art, do you still have it, if not, where is it?
I have not a clue.  It was something I sketched as a child and tossed aside.  Whatever I did as an adult in the early days was given away or disposed of.  That is a bad habit.  A few months ago I ripped and discarded a few paintings.


6.  Aside from painting, what are your other interests?
I am an avid reader.  I like the usual things like long walks, gardening, cooking and animals.  The paranormal really interests me.


7.  Do these interests influence your art?

Yes, my art is greatly influenced by animals.  I love the expressions on dogs and cats.  One of my galleries is named weird things that is often influenced by portals.


8.  What was your first commission?
Oh my!  It was something obscene!  I would rather not talk about it.


9.  What's the favorite painting that you have done?  
I have two, actually.  In 2001 I painted an angel with long dark hair, and is looking towards the sky.  His face is hidden and most of his body is concealed by very unusual wings.  He has never been at a show and I doubt he will ever be photographed.  The other is Blond Man.


10.  What inspires you?  

My beloved New Orleans inspires me often. Dreams have also great effect on my paintings.


11.  What's your favorite tool of the trade and what do you use it for?
 

My black velvet one-inch paint brush.  It takes about six months to fully train this brush.  I know exactly what it will do.

12.  What are you working on at the present, what's next?  

White lions to be exact.  A sketch of one is looking at me now.  I live with my art in progress.


13.  When you are not working, what do you like to do?  

Visiting with family and friends, taking long walks through City Park, surfing the internet.  


14.  What kind of music do you like?

I am a fan of Ozzy Osbourne, Guns N'  Roses, Heavy Metal.  I like the screaming guitars.


15.  What is your favorite color and why?

Purple, it is a mystical color.


16.  What are you reading at the moment?

A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Hawkness.  It is a trilogy.  


17.  What is the best piece of advice you have been given?

Paint what is inside of you.  


18.  It writers get writer's block, what do artists get?

A blank canvas or  paper.  It  does happen.  To sit and stare at a blank canvass is frustrating.  My world becomes flat.


19.  If you could be anyone in the world, who would it be and why?

An artist, because it is my destiny.


20.  Do you have any tips for budding artists?
Let the painting talk to you.
 



1 comment:

  1. Marian's paintings speak, visit her website to see for yourself, http://1-marian-hebert.artistwebsites.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments, thanks for leaving a comment. I will visit your blog as well :)